I would recommend using openSUSE especially for those of you who want to step into linux. It's very easy to use and is supported by Novell.
Currently, I am in touch with Novell to help Saigon Linux Group so that we can also host the Novell's version of SUSE called SLED which stands for "SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop" and SLES which stands for "SUSE Linux Enterprise Server".
Novell has always had great products. I remember using Netware which was a great LAN OS. Novell has now entered the Linux forray with SLES / SLED and they have several other great products which integrate into their OS, eg. Groupwise, E-directory.
Check out http://www.novell.com for more detailed info, and, if you wanna try it out, and the internet just doesn't seem right, just go to ftp://ftp.indochinalinux.com/opensuse/distribution/ where you can download the openSUSE version


3 comments:
Hi! Kevin pointed me to your blog. It seems you guys are big fans of SuSe. How do you feel about SuSe's deal with Microsoft?
We're big fans of linux, not any particular distro.
I was fortunate to attend a training by Novell, where they explained themselves as to why they joined hands with Microsoft.
The reason is simply to help the end customer integrate linux in their IT environment.
Novell make products for both Windows as well as Linux, and openSUSE is the free version. I personally feel that it's one of the best distro's to start a user who doesn't know a thing about linux.
Tracy, you know my computer roots. Forced to use a computer when I was about 9 years old. Spent many years using the trusty ole Commodore 64 and than the Commodore Amiga until 1996. I love the freedom that the Amiga gave me. If I had not gone to Kazakhstan, I would have transitioned to Linux a lot earlier but hey, got to learn how to use that thing called Windows, right?
You know my preferred distro is Gentoo. It got me into Linux. I know that you always ASSumed I used Gentoo b/c it was popular at the time but as I keep mentioning, one of the biggest supporters of Gentoo was Indiana University and their Unix Support Group. My friend just got me interested so I tried it.
Red Hat never cut it for me. Ubuntu Linux was okay but I found it too simple with the GUI and I found that I could not make any of the easy changes as in Gentoo. One good plug for Ubuntu was the ease in getting Apache and Plone set up. Excellent community as well.
openSUSE is great out of the box, especially with my Thinkpad. For a newbie, I would recommend openSUSE or SLED anytime.
As Tony always mentions to me and I agree, Linux is Linux and we should promote that more.
No more stupid FOSS/OSS debates. Business is business.
Post a Comment