My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://sourceperfect.wordpress.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

openSUSE wins...

For the past couple of days, I've been trying to install Linux on a rather aged mac powerbook g4. Now normally this shouldn't be much of a hassle with the fantastic forums et al.

However, problem 1, very few distro's support the ppc, but offcourse how silly of me, why do I need to consider any distro? I can compile the kernel by myself, which I was doing, but apparently the g4 has a mind of it's own :-) (Meaning, I hit a bunch of snags)

Due to pressing need for time, I decided to look for the distro's that actually support the G4, and I thought Gentoo, installation went well and then at the boot loader installation it screwed up, apparently I shouldn't have formatted the entire drive (oops)

Next, was Debian. Once again the installation went well, it was much much easier than Gentoo. However, this time xorg gave me problems, I thought of (& my buddy Kev suggested) copying an xorg.conf file from another working machine, but the problem with that is everytime an update hits it, the display will mess up.

Well, being a SUSE guy, I thought why not just go back to my good 'ol ditro, and to my good fortune, it worked straight out. I'm now running openSUSE 11.1 and the boot up isn't slow, I'm gonna try to check out some other stuff and see how it goes.

No comments:

Sunday, May 17, 2009

openSUSE wins...

For the past couple of days, I've been trying to install Linux on a rather aged mac powerbook g4. Now normally this shouldn't be much of a hassle with the fantastic forums et al.

However, problem 1, very few distro's support the ppc, but offcourse how silly of me, why do I need to consider any distro? I can compile the kernel by myself, which I was doing, but apparently the g4 has a mind of it's own :-) (Meaning, I hit a bunch of snags)

Due to pressing need for time, I decided to look for the distro's that actually support the G4, and I thought Gentoo, installation went well and then at the boot loader installation it screwed up, apparently I shouldn't have formatted the entire drive (oops)

Next, was Debian. Once again the installation went well, it was much much easier than Gentoo. However, this time xorg gave me problems, I thought of (& my buddy Kev suggested) copying an xorg.conf file from another working machine, but the problem with that is everytime an update hits it, the display will mess up.

Well, being a SUSE guy, I thought why not just go back to my good 'ol ditro, and to my good fortune, it worked straight out. I'm now running openSUSE 11.1 and the boot up isn't slow, I'm gonna try to check out some other stuff and see how it goes.

No comments: